Let us present you with some options to consider for your software product idea or development needs. You essentially have three choices:
1. you can choose to hire an in-house developer,
2. work with a freelancer through platforms like craigslist or Upwork, or
3. engage with a software outsourcing company like LightClix.
If you want to avoid the time-consuming and costly process of recruiting, hiring, and onboarding a new team member, you will need to make a decision. Do you want to find a capable freelancer on platforms like craigslist or Upwork, or partner with a software outsourcing company? If cost is your primary concern, freelance marketplaces may offer competitive pricing.
However, many people believe that hiring a freelancer will be more cost-effective. While lowered cost is undoubtedly tempting, it might surprise you to learn that software development companies also provide competitive pricing and offer a great deal more than you can get from a freelance developer
OUTSOURCING COMPANY VS FREELANCERS: TOP 10 THINGS TO CONSIDER
Here is the list of our top 10 things to consider before hiring and choosing a developer partner
- First and foremost, you need to consider security. When working with a software outsourcing company, your IP ownership is legally protected, which is not always the case when working with a freelance software developer
- Secondly, you should consider the development process. Software development companies follow and enforce “Best Practices” and standard development practices such as Agile, DevOps, Pair Programming and Rapid development.
- Accountability is also crucial. Outsourcing companies can replace a software engineer, credit your account, or “make it right” in any number of ways if someone doesn’t work out. If an individual freelancer or new hire doesn’t work out, you have to start the entire process over again, which will cost you time and money.
- Moreover, you should consider the quality of the work. Software outsourcing companies set and follow unified quality and security standards, ensuring expert support is provided should any issues arise
- Reliability is also important. Experienced project managers oversee the development team’s productivity and ensure you receive deliverables on time, which is a guarantee you can rely on
- Scalability is another crucial factor to consider. Outsourcing companies can help you grow your team with as little stress as possible, from just one or two developers to as many as 100. Managing individual freelance developers requires oversight and overhead that is already baked into the outsourcing structure
- You should also consider support. Software engineering vendors provide their teams with the best equipment available, office space, HR & Accounting support, and training opportunities.
- Flexibility is another important factor to consider. With an outsourcing company, you can easily scale up and hire a close-knit team or reduce the total number of engineers and engage only the necessary expertise on a part-time, or on-demand basis.
- Effective communication is also a key. Outsourcing companies maintain regular, daily contact and can help train your team on the best communication tools and processes, or work with the tools and programs that work best for you.
- Finally, cost is a crucial consideration. In most cases, freelance development rates are lower than the numbers you will see on the rate sheets from outsourcing companies. However, outsourcing companies offer additional benefits that are worth considering, such as those we have mentioned above.
Selecting a software development company is all about your priorities. If you have a limited budget and a very specific scope of work with clearly defined, measurable expectations, a freelancer may very well be the better choice. However, if you’re looking for guidance, consulting, guarantees of quality work and protection should anything go wrong, the better choice is to work with an established organization with a good reputation, proven track record, and wide range of expertise. If you choose carefully, the exceptional value they provide will pay off in the long run.
Here is a link to an article describing what you will be getting if you work with LightClix on a Dedicated Team model.